Episode 58: 10/14/2018
We started this episode with a block of songs from new and upcoming releases. Things took a turn and went into a weird haunted off-kilter lo-fi direction, starting with no wave and atonal folk and then going into warped and haunted versions of more popular music. After that we went into experimental audio collages and took a brief look at the world of numbers stations, which was followed by phantasmal noise and ambient.
- Throbbing Gristle: Propaganda (Intro) (Assume Power Focus, 1982, Power Focus/Paragoric) [0:00:00 - 0:01:00]
- Prurient: Many Jewels Surround the Crown (Bermuda Drain, 2011, Hydra Head Records) [0:01:00 - 0:03:45]
- VNV Nation: When is the Future (Noire, 2018, Metropolis/Anachron Sounds) [0:03:45 - 0:08:53]*
- Holygram: A Faction (Modern Cults, 2018, Oblivion/Cleopatra) [0:08:53 - 0:13:29]
- Arctic Flowers: Hallow Water (Straight to the Hunter, 2018, Sabotage/Arctic Flowers Records) [0:13:29 - [0:16:25]
- Street Sects: The Drifter (The Kicking Mule, 2018, Flenser Records) [0:16:25 - 0:20:30]
- Author & Punisher: Nihil Strength (Beastland, 2018, Relapse) [0:20:30 - 0:24:04]*
- Sonic Youth: (She’s in a) Bad Mood (Confusion is Sex, 1983, Neutral Records/SST) [0:30:02 - 0:35:37]
- Sonic Youth: Protect Me You (Confusion is Sex, 1983, Neutral Records/SST) [0:35:37 - 0:41:05]
- Jandek: Naked in the Afternoon (Ready For the House, 1978, Corwood Industries) [0:41:05 - 0:46:02]
- The Caretaker: Midnight, the Stars, and You (Selected Memories From the Haunted Ballroom, 1999, V/Vm Test Records/History Always Favors the Winners) [0:46:02 - 0:49:29]*
- Pierrot Lunaire: Station to Station (Turn Back the Hands of Time, 2011, Hooker Vision) [0:49:29 - 0:54:16]
- The Everyday Film: The Sense Test (The House I Used to Turn Into, 2009, Assumed Makeup) [0:57:44 - 0:59:52]
- Car Commercials: Down On the Curtains (Judy’s Dust, 2008, Cenotaph) [0:59:52 - 1:04:21]
- Sleep Chamber: The Beast (Sexmagick Ritual, 1987, Trinity Records/Inner-X-Musick/FünfUndVierzig) [1:04:21 - 1:08:10]
- The Number Lady (Youtube Video, 2011) [1:08:10 - 1:09:00]
- DDR Stasi/East German Army?: Zahlensender/Number Station “G03” (“Gong and Chimes Station”) — 9/22/1978 [1:09:00 - 1:12:02]
- Darksmith: Excerpt From No Space Side A (No Space, 2009, Middle James Co.) [1:12:02 - 1:20:38]
- Hair Police: Fear of Sleep Side B (Fear of Sleep, 2007, Hospital Productions) [1:25:31 - 1:30:22]
- Gaze Campaign: Arch For Dead End (Gestalt Bruise, 2008, Lust Vessel) [1:30:22 - 1:34:43]
- Wolf Eyes: Post Civilization Muzak Track 4 (Post Civilization Muzak, 2006, Gods of Tundra) [1:34:43 - 1:38:28]
- Withdrawal Method: Squared Away Side A (Squared Away, 2010, Hospital Productions) [1:38:28 - 1:48:19]
- “It’s a Fine Day…” (AKA, The “Haunted” Japanese Kleenex Commercial): (Youtube Video, 2006) [1:50:43 - 1:51:12]
- Relay For Death: Excerpt From Birth of An Older, Much More Ugly Christ Side A (Birth of an Older, Much More Ugly Christ, 2010, Hanson Records) [1:51:12 - 1:58:03]
- Relay For Death: Excerpt From Birth of An Older, Much More Ugly Christ Side B (Birth of an Older, Much More Ugly Christ, 2010, Hanson Records) [1:58:03 - 2:04:28]
- Black Mountain Transmitter: Excerpt From Black Goat of the Woods (Black Goat of the Woods, 2009, Lysergic Earwax/Aurora Borealis/Auris Apothecary) [2:04:28 - 2:17:14]
- Mossy Throats: Static Cage (Steel Trap Compilation, 2010, Chondritic Sound) [2:22:19 - 2:31:55]
- Michael Saunders: Dye (Dust/Dye, 2013, Blue Pole Recordings) [2:31:55 - 2:44:52]
* Listener-requested song.
G03 on Priyom.org — Info on the G03 “Gong and Chimes” station.
G3 Stasi/Gong and Chimes Station — Another page with info on the East German G3 “Gong and Chimes” Station.